Thursday, November 30, 2017

American Slang Of The Day

American Slang Of The Day: Ass-kicker


Meaning

someone who says nice things to someone in order to get something from them

For example

  • Kenny thinks that being an ass-kisser helps him get promotions in his job.
  • Bosses say they don't like ass-kissers, but I'm sure some of them quite enjoy being told how clever and wonderful they are.
Note:
The equivalent slang in British English is "arse-licker". Warning! This is very bad language. If you are a non-native speaker, you are advised not to use it. (You could cause resentment or anger if you use it inappropriately.)

Variety

This is typically used in American English but may be used in other varieties of English too.

Quick Quiz

Which of these statements would be said by an ass-kisser to his boss if he's trying to get a promotion?


a. "I really think I've earned this promotion."

b. "I promise I'll work much harder in future."

c. "This is the best-run company I've ever worked for."

No comments: