Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Modal Verbs

Modal verbs are a type of auxiliary verb which express the mood of another verb.They are used to express ideas such as possibility, prediction, speculation, deduction and necessity.

Modal Concept Example

Can Ability: Julie can swim.

Permission : Can I come with you? ('May' is also used)

Offers : Can I help you?




Could Possibility: That story could be true - who knows!

Past ability : Julie could swim when she was four years old.

Permission : Could I use your phone please?

Requests : Could you tell me the way to the station please?



May

Possibility : The President may come to visit our offices tomorrow
if the meeting finishes before 5pm.

Permission : May I borrow your dictionary?



Might
Slight possibility : We might win a prize but I doubt it!


Past form of 'may' in reported speech. The President said he

might come.



Should
Advice : You should take an umbrella. It's starting to rain.

Logical deduction : John has revised all day. He should be ready for his

exam.



Ought to
Advice : You ought to write to your grandmother.

Logical deduction : Here's 30€. That ought to be enough for a taxi.




Shall
Offers and suggestions Shall I order a taxi?

with 'I' and 'we' : Shall we begin the meeting now?



Will
Future tense auxiliary : Tomorrow I will be in New York.

Invitations/offers : Will you join us for coffee? Won't you come in?


from: Learn English Today

No comments: