Thursday, August 14, 2008

Conditionals 1-2

Conditional Tense

(example : to call)


Affirmative

I would call

You would call

He/she/it would call

We would call

You would call

They would call


Negative


Long Form Contracted Form

I would not call I wouldn't call

You would not call You wouldn't call

He would not call He wouldn't call

We would not call We wouldn't call

You would not call You wouldn't call

They would not call They wouldn't call


Interrogative

Would I call?

Would you call?

Would he call?

Would we call?

Would you call?

Would they call?


1) The conditional: would + verb, is used to refer to an imaginary or hypothetical situation, with an 'if' clause in the past.


Ex : ◊ If I saw an accident, I would call an ambulance.


◊ I would call an ambulance if I saw an accident.


It is possible that you will never see an accident, but here you are describing your probable reaction in such circumstances.

Tom is not rich but he likes fast cars.
◊ If Tom had more money, he would buy a fast car.


2) In English, there are different conditional structures :


Present + Present (what is recommended in this situation) If you see an accident, call a doctor!


Present + Future (possible future situation) If I see an accident, I will call a doctor.


Past + Conditional (imaginary situation) If I saw an accident, I would call a doctor.


Past Perfect + Conditional Perfect
(the accident occurred but I didn't see it) If I had seen the accident,
I would have called a doctor.


from: LEARN ENGLISH TODAY

No comments: