Saturday, August 16, 2008

Telephone Conversation Expressions

Useful telephone vocabulary and phrases in English

►Making contact

Hello/Good morning/Good afternoon ..
This is John Brown speaking.
Could I speak to .......... please?I'd like to speak to .......... please.
I'm trying to contact ..........


►Giving more information

• I'm calling from Tokyo/Paris/New York/Sydney • I'm calling on behalf of (Mr. X ...)

►Taking a call

X speaking
Can I help you?


►Asking for a name/information

Who's calling please?
Who's speaking?
Where are you calling from?
Are you sure you have the right number/name?


►Asking the caller to wait

Hold the line please
Could you hold on please
Just a moment please

►Connecting

Thank you for holding
The line's free now ..... I'll put you through
I'll connect you now / I'm connecting you now.

►Giving negative information

I'm afraid the line's engaged. Could you call back later?
I'm afraid he's in a meeting at the moment
I'm sorry. He's out of the office today / He isn't in at the moment.
I'm afraid we don't have a Mr/Mrs/Miss ... here
I'm sorry. There's nobody here by that name.
Sorry. I think you've dialled the wrong number.
I'm afraid you've got the wrong number.

►Telephone problems

The line is very bad. Could you speak up please?
Could you repeat that please?
I'm afraid I can't hear you.
Sorry. I didn't catch that.
Could you say that again please?

►Leaving/taking a message

Can I leave/take a message?
Would you like to leave a message?
Could you give him/her a message?
Could you ask him/her to call me back?
Would you like him/her to call you back?
Could you tell him/her that I called?
Could you give me your name please?
Could you spell that please?
What's your number please?

from: Learn English Today

No comments: