Sunday, August 31, 2008

Must and Have To

Must and have to both express obligation. However, they are used differently depending on who imposes the obligation.

MUST

The speaker thinks it is necessary.

-I must buy flowers for my mother(It's her birthday and I decide to do that)

-"You must take more exercise"says the doctor. (The doctor thinks it is necessary).

-I must ask my secretary to book a flight for me. (It is important for me not to forget.)

-"Dogs must be kept on a lead"(Written on a sign in the park = a rule which must be respected)



HAVE TO

Someone else thinks it is necessary.



-I have to buy flowers for my mother-in-law. (It is not my decision - my husband asked me to do it.)

-I have to take more exercise.(doctor's orders!)

-I have to call the travel agency. (My boss asked me to book a flight.)

-I have to keep my dog on a lead.(That's what the sign tells me to do.)

N.B. In the negative form, the meaning changes!


MUST NOT (MUSTN'T)
You mustn't tell George = it's important not to tell George = don't tell George

DO NOT HAVE TO (DON'T HAVE TO)
You don't have to tell George = you can tell George if you like, but it isn't necessary. It's your decision.

from: LEarn English Today

No comments: